So I’ve been wondering what to do with all of my retired print fabric swatches from over my time with Thirty-One. I have seen some that were similar to the one I created but I did a few things different. Also, It’s hard to tie some of these fabrics so I’ll show you how I decided to create my Thirty-One fabric swatch wreath.
- Thirty-One Fabric Swatches (I used 96)
- Wire Wreath Frame (I used an 18″ frame)
- I used this one: Wire Frame Wreath: Michael’s
- A wreath hanger of some sort, I had my Christmas one still up (the hanger, not the wreath) 🙂
If you decide to add a letter to yours:
- Choose a letter to your liking
- Paint, if you choose to paint the letter
- Floral Wire, 26 Gauge
First off, I gathered all my swatches. I had previously cut some of them to fit into a book I took to parties (35 swatches) and the rest were still full size (61 swatches).
I cut my full size swatches first. I started by cutting straight across the top where the grommet is located. I then cut the swatch longways in half, and then in half again.
Then it was onto my smaller swatches. I simply cut the grommets off of the one side and cut the remainder in thirds. I did the same for the other half.
I now had lots of long strips and lots more that were a little bit shorter. I sorted the strips into like colors or patterns and kept the sizes separate.
I wanted my swatches to have a pattern to them. I didn’t want to just start throwing the wreath together and have it have too much pink or black on one side verses the other. I then laid all the strips on my bed and put them in an order that I liked. I did this for both sizes.
I then started correlating the strips. Since I had four of each larger strip, I had four piles of larges strips. I then did the same with the smaller strips and had six piles.
Now it was time to start adding my strips onto the wire frame. I decided to use the larger strips on the outer two rings and the shorter ones on the inner rings. I tried to tie the first one on and quickly learned that this was going to be tough. I took a different approach and although it took longer, I feel that it worked the best.
So….I folded the strip in half
Cut a slit into it
I then decided that I wanted to place the outer rings on with the back of the fabric facing each other. Therefore, I had to put the good side of the fabric against the ring as I worked on the outer rings. I folded the strip around the ring, and then pulled one side of the strip through the slit I made.
So on my outer 2 rings, I figured out that I had 9 sections on the wire frame, so 18 sections total. With having 244 large strips, I had to put anywhere from 13-14 strips on each section. Let the fun begin.
By the end of night one, I was halfway through with one ring.
I then completed ring one.
When I started ring two, I decided to reverse my pattern.
When I started ring three (smaller strips), I changed the direction in which I put the strips on and there were about 11-12 strips that were added on the inner rings. Same for the last ring.
Once I had completed it, I decided it needed a little more. In the meantime, I tested it out on the door.
I wanted to add a letter for our last name. I rushed up to Michael’s the next morning and grabbed a “M” out of the bin. I got home and got ready to paint it that evening and realized that I had a “W.” I was a very sad lady. Project postponed another night.
I exchanged the “W” for my “M” the next day. I quickly sanded the outside of the letter and then marked spots where I wanted to place holes for when I wired the letter to the wreath. I then drilled the holes.
I was going to use this black metallic paint but it was too thin. I got out some old sample Behr black paint and did two coats with it.
I then did two coats of the FolkArt Metallic Paint.
Next was to tie the wire on and place the letter in the wreath. I used a paperclip to pierce the holes I had previously drilled and had a little bit of paint in them.
You can decided what the best method for attaching the letter is for yourself. I threaded the wire through the drilled holes and pulled a few inches through, I then relooped the wire back through a few times, then tied it off. I repeated this for the four corners of my letter.
I then lined the letter up where I wanted it inside the wreath. I tied the letter to the inner ring using the wire. I then also secured it to a higher ring as well.
COMPLETED….Hard to see on my desk
The wreath hanger I currently had.
It was pouring rain when I was finally complete and was able to display the wreath. The next sunny day we have, I’ll be taking some better photos of the completed project.
Thank you for stopping by! Check out the rest of my blog for Disney tips, room makeovers and more! 🙂
Feel free to leave any comments or questions for me.